JAPAN NEW ZEALAND BUSINESS COUNCIL INTRODUCTION
Formed in 1974, the Joint Council’s aims are:
• To foster and develop long term economic and trade relations with Japan
• To provide a forum for a high level interchange of views between business leaders of Japan and New Zealand on a regular basis
• To foster and deepen mutual understanding essential to the expansion of trade between the two countries.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR THE NEW ZEALAND COMMITTEE:
To become the leading organisation and point of reference for matters concerning the development and support of the New Zealand/Japan business relationship, policy, and mutually profitable trade and investment between New Zealand/Japan.
To earn the respect of the business community, the Government and the community at large, by
demonstrating its commitment to business with Japan long term, and by enlisting the visible support of a cross-section of committed and senior people from the private and public sector.
Encourage and maintain a high level of contacts and networks with its counterparts in Japan to try and ensure continuity, and the securing of a competitive edge for New Zealand trade.
MAJOR OBJECTIVES OF THE NEW ZEALAND COMMITTEE:
- Achieve an external perception of the Council and its activities, which attracts the participation of a wide range of business organisations.
- Ensure that the Council is regarded by Government and business, both in New Zealand and Japan, as the most informed organisation on matters concerning Japan/New Zealand trade.
- When a concerted approach is deemed desirable, to achieve a level of consensus and co-operation within New Zealand between all committed parties, similar to that which exists in Japan.
- Introduce a long-term strategic approach to the future development of key industry sectors.
- Establish a rate of growth for Japan/New Zealand trade, which is at least as rapid as any other geographic sector and is consistent with the importance of Japan in the world’s economy.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS OF THE COUNCIL ARE TO:
- Generate new business opportunities
- Strengthen and expand membership and encourage participation in council activities
- Enhance cross border investment between New Zealand and Japan
- Promote and support selected trade and investment missions to Japan
- Orchestrate arrangements for visiting japanese missions related to trade and investment
- •Establish task forces as required to implement action plan to achieve agreed objectives of policies being followed in Japan.
The New Zealand committee meets regularly in New Zealand, provides opportunity for interaction among New Zealand companies and co-ordinates private sector interests to advantage.
JAPAN NEW ZEALAND BUSINESS COUNCIL HISTORY
A book on the history of the Japan New Zealand Business Council has been written by Ezme Marris. Contact the JNZBC for a copy of this book.